Vehicle speed is monitored on a second-by-second basis using the following process:
- during the trip, we collect location data and speed data every second;
- based on location data we identify the applicable speed limits with our mapping partners worldwide;
- then, we compare the drivers’ speed with the speed limit at every second.
Mentor allows for temporary, minor fluctuations in speed that are primarily caused by changes in road conditions, or the need for a short increase in speed, such as to pass a vehicle or avoid a dangerous situation. In order for Mentor to record a speeding event, the following criteria applies:
- If posted speed limit is less than 40 mph / 65 km/h, a driver must exceed the speed limit by 20% or more for at least 60 seconds.
- If posted speed limit is greater than or equal to 40mph / 65 km/h, a driver must exceed the speed limit by 10 mph / 15 km/h or more for at least 60 seconds.