When downloading the app, users will receive the following permission requests which must be accepted to allow accurate measurement of driving behaviors and calculation of their FICO® Safe Driving Score. Mentor can only access event and trip details from the device that is running the application.
- Location must be set to “Always Allow” to detect trip/event information while the application is running in the background to ensure the entire trip is captured and scored. The app records data once you select your "Begin Route" and will stop capturing data after you select "End Route". The app does not record data at any other time. iOS 14 and higher also required Precise Location to be set to “On.”
- Camera and Photo Library Access must be “Allowed/Enabled” for drivers to capture VINs, or vehicle registration plate numbers, which is required for vehicle-to-trip pairing and billing purposes. This is also required for drivers to take pictures of damages for the DVCR or DER Opt-in feature and capture profile picture used in driver feedback page and Circles Opt-in feature.
- Allow access to Photos, Media, and Files (Android) is required to store large image files submitted with the DVCR or DER Opt-in feature in external storage (back-end servers).
- Fitness and Motion services (iOS) OR Access your Physical Activity (Android) is required to access the device’s non-GPS sensors to determine movement type, such as walking or driving, and detect the start and end of trips more efficiently without using high-frequency location data, thus saving battery life.
- Allow Mentor to make and manage calls (Android) is required to detect if phone calls are answered or initiated while driving, which would constitute a Distraction event. Mentor does not access any call details, content, contacts, or phone numbers and does not monitor or record any voice or keystrokes.
- Disable battery optimization (Android) is required to ensure Mentor is not terminated when running in the background when driver is logged in.
Automatic date and time settings is required to automatically set user’s dates and time-based on their time zone.